Wednesday 3 July 2013

WIP and a Tasty Treat

Finally some progress on the little Peplum Bubble Dress by Straightgrain I’m making for my youngest.  

Click on pic to get the free tutorial
I picked up those scissors and started cutting (with one eye closed because I couldn’t bear to watch!)
Yes I’m a little chicken when it comes to cutting into fabric that … 1. I love and 2. Is a tad on the pricey side.



I have the bodice sewn up so far.  I decided to line the bodice as I don't trust my bias binding and top stitching capabilities that the pattern calls for.




I managed to sew in an ‘almost’ invisible zipper – I did a little happy dance when that baby went in!


That money is the decorative top of our sewing kitchen table
Now I’m up to the bubble skirt part and should have that done in no time (…she says).
The Monday just gone was my last quilting class for this term and someone always bakes a little something special for the last class.  This time it was a DIVINE … wait for it … Rhubarb and Ginger up-side-down cake.  

Oh my goodness it was delicious.  We all chorused “recipe please!” – but sadly we will have to wait the whole two weeks of term break to receive said recipe.  

Two weeks!? I can’t wait two weeks!  So I turned to my old pal Google to see what he had to say about the situation and he turned up some pretty good results – but my pantry couldn’t keep up and was a little lacking in ingredients.  So, because I’m so impatient industrious I decided to improvise
IMPROVISED INGREDIENTS
Rhubard (bottom/top)
2 cups of Rhubarb – chop in approx. 2cm pieces
2 tbs butter
½ cup caster sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
Cake
2 cups of Self Raising Flour
1 cup sugar
115g soft butter
1 cup milk
1 medium egg
2 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp bicarb soda
IMPROVISED METHOD
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius (I have a fan forced oven)
Line a round 18cm cake tin with baking paper
Melt butter, caster sugar and brown sugar in a pot



Once melted pour into bottom of cake tin
Arrange rhubarb on top of butter/sugar mixture in cake tin (make it look pretty as it’s going to be your top). 



Boil the milk in a pot (I used the same pot as I melted the sugar/butter mixture in).  Once boiled, take off the heat and set aside while you start on the cake batter.
Beat the egg with a fork in a cup, then set aside.
To an electric cake mixer add the SR flour, sugar, ginger and soft butter all together and mix to combine.  (Don’t worry if there are a few lumps of butter, the warm milk will sort those out)
Add the egg and mix to combine
Then add the warm milk.  Turn up the speed on your cake mixer and continue to mix the batter to a pouring consistency.



Pour into the cake tin over the top of your rhubarb.
Back in the oven for 45mins (your cooking time may vary depending on your oven – just check with a skewer to ensure it’s cooked through)
Once cooked, remove from oven and allow the cake to cool/stand a little in the cake tin.
Once cooled place your plate over the top of the cake tin and flip!
Fingers crossed it will look a little something like this …


LOL! It's the same colour as my kitchen bench top

oozy .. gooey ... sweet ... bitter ... gingery (that's a word)
Cut a big slice and share with friends, a cup of tea and a good dollop of gossip :)
We did a spot of gardening on the weekend (now that we are happily back in our home) and the kumquat tree has gone bananas!



We have so much fruit this year ...



... and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it?  Any ideas?
Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP - nice to meet you guest host Stacey!

Sx

3 comments:

  1. Delicous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. make some jam! I am so wishing me had something that gave off fruit so I could do some canning! I am so jealous!

    I am stopping by from the WIP hop, hop on by if you can http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/07/wip-wednesday-july-3rd-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks delicious! Can't wait to see the dress, the fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...