Friday 5 September 2014

Those Canadians ...

... really love their flag, eh?

When we were young and fun (read: pre-children) my hubby and I did a lot of travelling.  We could always spot the Canacks easily with their flag embroidered, sewn or stickered onto something ... anything ... everything that they travelled with. 

There is a Canadian in my circle ... he loves Canada (and so he should it's a beautiful country) ... he loves Ice Hockey (Go Leafs!) ... and he's having a birthday!


I made him this pillow to keep him company watching his favourite team play his favourite sport.

There's a spot for the TV remotes ...


... it's fully lined AND I popped a zipper in it, eh?


Pillow Stats
Size is 16" square with zip closure
Red fabric is Prima Homespun in Chinese Red from Spotlight
Cream fabric is Prima Homespun in Custard from Spotlight
Novelty Fabric is Montreaux Drill "Show Bear" from Spotlight
Tutorial on how to insert a zipper with lining involved.

Happy Friday everyone!  I'll be linking up with TGIFF, Finish It Up Friday and Sew Cute Tuesday.

Serena xx

19 comments:

  1. Just making maple leafs for bee blocks too! Love the remote control pocket - could do with one of those in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making maple leaf blocks are fun (even for us non-Canadians!). I like the picket for the remotes, too - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cushion. I love that backing fabric and the pocket. And that tiny mountie bear is just gorgeous too! It's all great Serena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful (and totally cool) gift. I am sure he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! My husband is Canadian, and one of the first things I noticed on my first trip to Canada was that the flag and maple leaves were EVERYWHERE - T-shirts, bags, front yards, in place of apostrophes in signs ... I developed a theory that if anything sits still for 5 minutes in Canada it gets maple leafed!
    That is a great cushion. I know my husband would love that. (The fabric is from Spotlight again! I am not paying attention.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great cushion and perfect for a Canadian!! The remote control pocket at the back is a brilliant idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canadians are a proud lot... it took us a long time to get a flag of our own, and let's face it, she's pretty beautiful and distinctive. Without a recognizable accent or a particular look, we do get confused for our neighbours to the south... hence the excessive flag wearing whilst traveling. All that said, I'm sure your friend will appreciate the lovely maple leaf pillow. That backing fabric couldn't have been an easy find in Australia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful gift with all of the details coming together perfectly! I love the maple leaf block and have had it on my to make list for too long. Maybe this will be the fall i actually make one..or not. a cushion would be the perfect project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect backing fabric, and impressive zip closure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. your header looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! I love Canadians they were always fun to meet and talk to since we share our passion for ice hockey, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect pillow! Very nice addition of the remote pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, we only put our emblem on everything so people don't think we're American (not that there's anything wrong with being American, we just don't wan to be confused with them- oh just read Jenn's comment and she said the same thing-sorry ;)
    Anyway, your Canadian will love the pillow. I actually really like the back fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect! You are really making some great projects for men of late!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool! And so clever making a place for the remotes. Visiting from FIUF.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love the remote pocket on the back! I'll have to remember that the next time I make a cushion. We're always losing the remotes!

    I have Dinosaur loving Canadian friend and I made her a Maple leaf out of dino prints once lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great backing for a maple leaf pillow!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...