Friday 29 August 2014

Happy Hubby ...

It's hubby's birthday today so I can finally share a few bits I made for him.

The first was practically demanded ... "If I take the kids for a play in the garden, will you make me that pliers wrap I've been asking for ... for like a year?" 

Um ... OK!

Being a bit of a (self-confessed) tomboy, I took to this little project like a duck to plum sauce water!


The Ikea denim tablecloth that I picked up recently came in handy for this little project.  


It was nice and sturdy and for the outer and pocket fabrics.  Plus I thought it would wear well with the dirt that this wrap will inevitably be covered in!

For a pop of colour, and as an ode to his heritage, I used a Spotlight Union Jack drill cotton to line the warp and make the ties.


The next little project was a surprise for his birthday ...  


My husband is in I.T and where ever he goes a big jumble of cables go with him (think: laptop charger, earphones, phone charger, tablet charger, hard drives ... I won't bore you with the entire list!)


He does a bit of travelling with his work from time to time so I made him a little pouch (my first ever!!!!) to pop all of these cables in.

Quilted with a bright yellow thread - shame the print isn't straight!

The Union Jack fabric is another drill cotton from Spotlight and the lining fabric is left-over from a little project I've finished for the up-and-coming Make Modern Magazine ... I'm really excited to have my FIRST EVER quilt pattern published in Make Modern's FIRST EVER issue!!  September the FIRST is the date to remember!

I'll be linking up with TGIFF and Finish it Up Friday this week.

Happy Friday everyone! 

Serena xx

16 comments:

  1. The wrap looks fantastic, very functional. I can't wait to see what your project for Make Modern is. Only a few more sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very clever Serena. Lucky hubby. I love that Union Jack fabric.
    I've just subscribed to Make Modern today. Can't wait to see what's in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Union Jack fabrics. I should pay more attention to Spotlight's fabric. Oh, bum. I am still on a fabric diet.
    I have had my MM first issue order in for a while. Of course, it is only for your pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makes! Your husband is a lucky guy to have such a thoughtful and crafty wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great hubby presents! I love the touches of the UK :-) Can't wait to see your quilt pattern - I am signed up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what fab gifts! I wish my husband appreciated hand made.... I could do with the pliers roll for my jewellery pliers, I feel a new project coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice - good ideas. Now I have gift ideas for all the mechanical minded and computer geek-y people in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are looking great! At first I thought you pieced those Jacks :) Happy Bday handsome hubby, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great gifts!! Spotlight always seems to have some fun prints and these were perfect for you. Yay you for making a quilt pattern; i am sure it is awesome and can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when they actually ask us to make something! Which reminds me - I have a half finished project for my husband lol. Well done on the pouch and I can't wait to see what you've done for MM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects! Congrats on the magazine -- that's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice gifts. So hard to sew for the men in our lives, but a cable pouch is definitely in my plans for the future... thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the quilt blocks in the bag you made for him. I like that there are black strips outlining the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sept 1 is on my calendar!!! Handsome gifts for your DH's birthday, I know it was happy! My hubby is an IT guy too! Who can resist a cable ready guy?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic gifts for your hubby! I hope he loves them. And congratulations on the publication! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...