Saturday 8 April 2017

Hello Kitty!

Hello Kitty is in da house!  Well she's been with us for quite some time ... but a certain nearly 7 year old has been reluctant to let her out into the wild.

And. if I'm honest, I've been a bit stumped on where to photograph her ... then I remembered reading about this sculpture made from sea containers - cue a sunny day and BAM!  One Hello Kitty quilt in the wild ...


These rainbow painted sea-containers were the perfect backdrop for Miss Kitty ...



... as were hubby's hairy legs - I could have cropped them out, but I think they look funny!


This quilt was both tedious and exciting to make.

Tedious because it's a pixel quilt made from a lot of 1 1/4" cut (3/4" finished) squares.

Exciting because watching it come to life piece by piece  - like a giant fabric jigsaw puzzle -  is really fun!



My daughter wanted this quilt to be a "Hello Kitty Disco Quilt" - gulp - so I machine quilted it with Aurifil Brillo to add the sparkly disco element ... she loves it ... and you'll notice by the white fluff on this next close up shot that Master Monty (our very white fluffy cat) loves it too!


I only used the Brillo as the top thread (I used a pink Aurifil in the bobbin) it worked beautifully in the machine and I encourage you to give it a try.

So here are some quilt stats:

Size: 75" x 62"

I used this cross stitch template to create the pattern.  Again, I cut the squares at 1 1/4"

Straight line quilting in a grid pattern using sparkly Aurifil Brillo colour #517

Quilt In the Wild Location

Fremantle Rainbow Art Installation by Marcus Canning #freorainbow on Instagram

Located at Beach Reserve (adjacent to Canning Highway) in Fremantle ... overlooking the Swan River and Fremantle Port.

You can read more about the artwork here



Pink everything
Linked to Finish It Up Friday
MidWeekMakers#66
Lets Bee Social #172

17 comments:

  1. Brilliant quilt, no wonder your daughter loves it! I love the photo location - so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt and such a fun photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome quilt finish, I don't think I could ever make a quilt with that much white or squares that size. Perfect location for the photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drive by that fun sculpture at least once a week and it makes me smile, as does the Hello Kitty Disco Quilt! I am glad Miss 7 and Mr Monty approve. How could they not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the quilt AND the shoot location! (But I'm not showing my HK loving daughters or I'll be on the hook for another project ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fabulous quilt and the fun photo location is just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous. I am 43 years old but still love everything hello Kitty. Your DD is a lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great photo shoot!! And a most awesome quilt!! I love that you used Brillo thread to give it sparkle. And 3 cheers for the artist who made a rainbow of shipping containers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous quilt and absolutely perfect photography location! I would be tempted to photograph all my quilts there... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is wonderful! And I love the photos! What a perfect way to combine the two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt, no wonder your daughters love it, it'd inspired, and so clever of you to use a cross stitch pattern to stitch it. Perfect photoshoot too, a wonderful backdrop for quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a fun quilt! Is this the same daughter who also gets the frog quilt? She's one lucky girl! Thank you for sharing it on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! I love the rainbow backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much fun in one quilt! Lovely make and lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the quilt, love the photography, love the setting. Your quilt and post made me smile - as did your husband's hairy legs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Next to the DeerRoseQuilt.... This is my next favourite! What a lot of work with all those wee squares - but SO worth it! Great quilt and the perfect photoshoot. Wow! Meow!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...